Spedra is prescribed to treat erectile dysfunction. It contains the active ingredient avanafil. Spedra has some similarities with the more commonly known erectile dysfunction medication, Viagra.
- Spedra is a phosphodiesterase type-5 inhibitor
- Spedra is prescribed to help men manage erectile dysfunction or the inability to get an erection
- Spedra is not a regular medication and should only be taken prior to sexual activity
- Spedra takes 15 to 30 minutes to begin working and its effects will last for up to 6 hours
- It is important to read the patient leaflet for a full list of side effects and cautions.
What Causes Erectile Dysfunction?
Problems getting or maintaining an erection are classed as erectile dysfunction or impotence. It more commonly affects men over the age of 40, and there can be a number of causes. The occasional problem achieving an erection can occur as a result of stress, tiredness, anxiety or drinking excess alcohol.
When erectile problems occur more frequently, causes can include diabetes, narrowing of the blood vessels in the penis, high blood pressure or damage to the nerves supplying the penis. Treatment of the underlying condition is key, but Spedra can also be used to help achieve an erection.
How Does Spedra Work?
Spedra is prescribed for men who have difficulty achieving or maintaining an erection. Erectile dysfunction is often caused by narrowing of the blood vessels that supply the penis. The active ingredient in Spedra, avanafil, works by widening the blood vessels. This improves blood flow to the penis during arousal and sexual stimulation, helping to maintain an erection. Spedra will only work when you are aroused.
How is Spedra Taken?
Spedra should be taken 15 to 30 minutes prior to sexual activity. The tablet should be swallowed with some water. The tablet may work faster if it is taken on an empty stomach.
It is recommended that only one dose is taken in a 24 hour period.
Dosage of Spedra
Spedra is available in three different dose tablets, 50mg, 100mg and 200mg. It is common to take 100mg prior to sexual activity.
If side effects occur, your dose may be reduced from 100mg to 50mg. If there are no side effects but a satisfying erection is not achieved, your doctor may increase your dose from 100mg to 200mg.
Are there any Side Effects?
Like all medications, Spedra can have some side effects. The most common side effects include:
- Congestion of the nose
- Nausea or vomiting (feeling sick or being sick)
These side effects are likely to settle down, but if they persist or become troublesome you should speak to your doctor for further advice.
Serious allergic reactions happen very rarely. If you have a severe allergic reaction (anaphylaxis) including breathlessness, lip swelling or tongue swelling, call 999 immediately.
Spedra may not be suitable for everyone. You should tell your prescriber if you:
- Are allergic to any of the ingredients in Spedra
- Have had a heart attack or stroke in the last 6 months
- Have low or high blood pressure
- Have an abnormal heart rhythm
- Have angina
- Have heart failure
- Have liver disease
- Have kidney disease
- Have had an eye condition leading to loss of vision
- Have a condition that could lead to bleeding, such as a stomach ulcer
- Have sickle cell disease
- Have, or have ever had, bone marrow cancer or leukaemia
- Have any injury or deformity of the penis.
Your prescriber can then advise whether Spedra is a suitable medication for you.
After taking Spedra, if your erection lasts for more than 4 hours, or you develop chest pains or sudden loss of vision or hearing, you must seek medical advice immediately.
Some medications can interact with Spedra. You may be advised that Spedra will not suit you if you already take:
- Another medication for erectile dysfunction
- Medications for heart disease or high blood pressure
- Antifungal medications
- Medications for HIV or AIDS.
You should avoid eating grapefruit or drinking grapefruit juice within 24 hours of taking Spedra, as consuming this fruit could increase your risk of experiencing side effects.
Because Spedra may not suit everyone, we will complete a Consultation with you including a health questionnaire. This will ensure that the medication will be suitable for you.
A qualified prescriber will review your current medications, including any herbal remedies or supplements, to ensure that Spedra will not interact with them.
Once prescribed, Spedra will be ordered on your behalf via electronic prescription. Spedra will then be conveniently dispatched from one of our partner pharmacies.