Flixonase is a nasal spray which is intended to treat allergic rhinitis.
Allergic rhinitis is an inflammatory condition within the nose which is brought on by allergens such as dust, mould, animal dander or pollen.
Commonly known as hay fever, this condition can cause a number of symptoms, including:
- Itchy eyes
- Itchy nose
- Runny nose
- Sore throat
- Stuffy nose
- Watery eyes
Depending on the sensitivity of the individual, these symptoms can come on quickly after exposure to an allergen. Knowing and avoiding allergens which trigger your symptoms is important to your treatment, however avoiding your allergen may be challenging or impossible.
Flixonase can prevent the symptoms from arising, even during exposure to allergens. When taken daily, it is an effective treatment for allergic rhinitis.
Flixonase contains a corticosteroid called fluticasone propionate. When administered nasally, it prevents and treats inflammation in the nose brought on by seasonal allergies, such as hay fever, or perennial allergies, such as animal fur.
When an allergen enters the body through the nose, the cells in the nose lining release inflammatory chemicals to help fight the invasion. Fluticasone blocks the cells’ ability to release these chemicals, preventing allergic rhinitis from occurring.
It’s important to understand that Flixonase will not release rhinitis symptoms immediately.
For adults, 2 sprays should be administered into each nostril daily. This dosage can be reduced to one spray into each nostril daily if your symptoms are under control. Your doctor will determine the most suitable dose for you. You should take Flixonase at the same time every day for it to be most effective.
Before you can use your Flixonase nasal spray for the first time, you will need to prime it.
To prime your nasal spray:
- Hold the bottle away from you.
- Place your index finger and middle finger on the collar of the spray, with your thumb providing support from the bottom of the bottle.
- Holding the bottle upright, press the pump down a few times until a fine mist is produced.
- This fine mist indicates that the spray is ready to be used.
To use your spray:
- Shake the bottle and remove the cap
- Gently blow your nose
- Press your finger against one nostril and put the nozzle of the spray bottle into the other nostril.
- Holding the bottle upright, start to breathe in through your nose.
- While breathing, depress the collar with your fingers. This will dispense a fine mist into your nose.
- Gently breathe out through your mouth.
- Repeat steps 3 to 6 for your other nostril.
- Clean the nozzle of your spray with a clean tissue or handkerchief.
- Replace the cap and store your spray in a safe place away from children.
Further information about how to use your Flixonase nasal spray, including instructions on cleaning the nozzle, can be found in the patient information leaflet enclosed with your medicine.
Always take Flixonase as prescribed by the doctor.
Do not change your dosage without your doctor’s consent.
All medicines carry the risk of side effects, though not everybody gets them. It is important to familiarise yourself with the risks associated with the treatment you are taking for your safety.
Always read the patient information leaflet before taking your medicine.
Very common side effects of Flixonase:
Common side effects of Flixonase:
- A dry or painful nose or throat
- Unpleasant smell
- Unpleasant taste